Friday, May 29, 2009

Eureka! I've got a Plan B!

For as long as I can remember I've wanted to be writer.

So far, my writing career has consisted of writing articles for a building magazine (no one can write about floors, doors, and solar power like I can! ha ha!) or snore-iffic press releases and brochure copy.

I've always dreamed of writing a fabulous best-selling novel that would take the literary world by storm. Put tears in reader's eyes, and make Tolstoy sit up in his grave.

And today, my friends, I was finally visited by the muse*.

Today, while in the shower (yes, the unemployed shower... although less than the employed), the muse touched my shoulder and whispered.... Diary of an Unemployed White Women.

Eureka!!! Get me my robe!

Yes, this is what I have been waiting for! For years I felt uninspired to write anything... I've been waiting for that great idea to come to me.

Excited, I called my parents. My dad answered the phone.

"Father," I said, "I have great news!"

"You do? What is it?" he answered.

"I am going to write a book!"

Silence.

"Oh, well I thought you were going to tell me you got a job or something."

"Uh, no. It's only day three of being unemployed. Or is it day four. The days are all the same."

"Here, talk to your mother," and he hands the phone to my mom.

"Mom, I'm going to write a book."

Silence.

I continue, "Uh, you know how I told you I always wanted to be a writer. Well, I finally got a great idea! I'm going to write about a girl who finds herself unemployed and has to move back in with her parents. It's going to be one of those comedic, chic-lit novels."

"What's so funny about that? Are you still going to apply for jobs?"

Sigh.

"Yes, mom. I'm still going to apply for jobs. Consider this Plan B. Something I've always wanted to do, but never had the time or inspiration for."

"Ok. Well, look, Deana. Don't forget to go to the store and get boxes to move."

"Yes, mother."


So, while my parents are less than excited about my new literary career, I'm totally excited! Hope this doesn't lose steam!

*What the heck is a Muse? Check this out. Have you been visited? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/muses

No comments:

Post a Comment